I tried to sleep late. I went to bed around 2am. I woke up at around at 10am and just knew it was too early. I tried to stay in bed as long as I could. I tried reading a book and it almost did the trick, but it was too bright outside and my windows aren’t blacked out (note: get blackout curtains). I am working tonight, and the next 2 nights. I work from 7pm to 7:30am. I am a nurse and I have to be alert and awake and competent when the rest of the world is asleep.
Night shift life is an adjustment. I thrive in the day, but I am making this sacrifice to work nights so that I can receive my experience working in the Intensive Care Unit. I love my work and this sacrifice is worth it but this adjustment is rough. I’m so uncertain if I can make it to the two year mark before getting a transfer request, but I know I am going to try my hardest.
Since I work the next three nights, this means I need to prepare all my meals today. I should have done it yesterday but I was tired from the weekend. I’ll pay for it this week.
I work well with list, so I am going to make a list of things that will get me through this week.
- Black tea – I am starting to love unsweetened black tea, and I get a free refill at the lobby Starbucks
- Keto Diet – I lost 5 lbs in a week and have had the side effect of energy and needing less sleep to be as alert. Also, no carbs means no food coma at 4am.
- Prepared – I’ve done all the laundry I need to get through the week
- It will go by fast. The ICU hasn’t slowed down enough to allow me to get sleepy
- I get the 4 days off after.
I want to bulletjournal again soon. July is coming and I haven’t made my layout yet. I’m thinking I can start that tomorrow before work, or at least create a draft of my next layout during my lunch.
I can’t help by dread how much I will miss my dog and my significant other. Being gone for 3 nights basically mean I see them Tuesday morning, and won’t see them again until Friday night when he gets home. I think this is the hardest part of the night shift for me.
I’m going to go prep my food now. Here is a list before I leave:
- Smoked Salmon with arugula and pepitas, greek dressing (45 min dinner break x3)
- baby bel minis and italian meats (emergency snack)
- tajin for sweet cravings
- black tea for +3 nights
- keto tortilla + shredded meats and salsa and cheese (9pm 15 min snack break x3)
- Blueberry cheesecake smoothie – blueberries, cottage cheese, soy, yogurt for ‘breakfast aka before work’ x3
’til next time,